A luscious wine, a beautiful label, and a bottle with exquisite coloring…even after the wine is long gone, there are still many wonderful ways to recycle our AVA Grace wine bottles. One example: homemade wine bottle candle holders! Follow our step-by-step guide to creating your own wine bottle candles that are easy and a perfect fit for our AVA Grace bottles. This DIY craft takes (on average) 15 minutes from start to finish.
What You Need:
- Beeswax sheets (colors of your choosing). Note: these can be any size larger than 8” x 4”
- A sharp knife or scissors
- A ruler
- Wick material
- A hairdryer
- Empty AVA Grace wine bottle(s)
How to Make a Wine Bottle Candle Holder
- Rinse the inside of your AVA Grace wine bottle with warm water and dish soap. Set aside – preferably upside down – to dry. Note: be careful not to get the label wet while washing.
- Layout a sheet of beeswax. Depending on how tall you want your candle to be, cut accordingly. We recommend cutting your beeswax strip to be 16” x 4” so that your candle is 4” in height.
- Measure a strip of wick material that is an inch taller than the height of your beeswax. Based on our previous height recommendation, our wick would be 5” in length.
- Take your hairdryer and run warm air along the end of your strip of beeswax so that it is softened, but not melted.
- Place your strip of wick at the end of this softened beeswax so that the wick is aligned with one end of the wax.
- Roll the wick so that it is surrounded by beeswax.
- Take the hairdryer and soften the remaining beeswax.
- Tightly roll the wick farther up your strip of beeswax until the diameter of the candle fits snugly in the top of your AVA Grace wine bottle.
- Once the diameter of the candle is about the thickness of a cork, cut off the remaining beeswax and mold the edge to the candle.
- Put your candle in the wine bottle (in the neck of the bottle) and light it. You have now created your own AVA Grace style candelabra!
Note: While we do not recommend trying to cut glass to create jar candles, we do recommend creating a set of styled wine bottle candelabras to compliment your interior decorating.
When your wine bottle candle holder is complete, snap a picture and share it with us on social media by using the hashtag #AVAGraceVineyards.
As you start to get more comfortable with making these candles, consider blending different colors of beeswax or cutting designs and molding them to your candles. You can change the texture of the outside of the candle by softening the wax with a hairdryer and molding it as you would like. One of the most beautiful parts of this fun DIY candle project is watching the wax mold around the neck of the wine bottle as the candle burns. We love lighting our candles over dinners with friends, AVA Grace wine tasting parties, and cozy nights in. Enjoy!